Importance and Advantages of Digital electronics
- Earlier, Logic circuits were built using bulky and unreliable components such as transistors, resistors and vacuum tubes etc. These components existed individually and circuits built using these components did not perform as expected mainly due to the interconnections issues that were common in these circuits. The development of integrated circuits played a significant role in solving the problems of logic circuits. These integrated circuits facilitated to place large number of transistors and on a single chip.
- Easy to Design: The advent of integrated circuit technology has made it easier to design digital circuits. Today, the designer is not required to know the basic operation of various components such as capacitors, transistors etc which involves complex mathematical calculations. If the designer knows the operations of these components he always has a better hand over other designers.
- Reliability : Once a digital circuit is designed. For a given set of inputs the circuit always produces the same output at any instant of time unlike analog circuits whose outputs vary with variation in the environment.
- Highly Flexible : In digital circuits, with the help of the software associated with the underlying digital circuit we can easily change the functionality of the digital circuit without changing the actual circuit. These circuits are generally referred to as programmable digital circuits(we will discuss about this in later chapters).
- Cheaper : The rapid advancements in IC (integrated circuit) technology such as the existing VLSI(Very Large Scale Integration) technology has made it possible to produce highly complex digital circuits at low costs.
You may also like...